[PD] tabosc4~ and table byte reallocation

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jan 27 10:41:25 CET 2010

Hallo,
mami music hat gesagt: // mami music wrote:

> When the signal inside the array cant loop at the block~ frequency is there
> a windowing method any would recomend to try to smooth things out (obviously
> there would be distortion).
> Maby having two [tabosc4~] one with phase shift of 180 degrees in relation
> with the other with some sort of windowing... but i guess that would be
> equivalent as making the blocksize bigger....

The usual approach here is to split the [tabosc4~] into its phase and
table-lookup parts by using [phasor~]--->[tabread4~] instead. Then make a
phasor~ signal half out of phase using [+~ 0.5] and [wrap~] to drive a second
[tabread4~]. Window both signals with e.g. a raised [cos~] window and you're
set.

It's the approach taken in many of the sampler-examples in the 3.audio.doc
sections and described in detail in Miller's book, which you can read online.
(I consider it required reading.) You don't need to bother with [block~] at all
here.

Ciao
--
Frank