[PD] -nogui and dsp loadbang breaks audio

Florian Hollerweger flo at mur.at
Wed Jan 27 23:56:33 CET 2010

Hi list,

I apologize for bringing up an old issue, but although I have found
others with the same problem [1,2], I cannot seem to find a solution in
the list archive:

For

	pd -nogui mypatch.pd

I get a

	/dev/dsp (read/write): Device or resource busy
	[...]
	audio I/O stuck... closing audio

if, and only if, mypatch.pd contains a

	[loadbang]

	[;
	 pd dsp 1<

The same patch loads fine if I omit the -nogui flag. The problem can not
only be produced by loadbanging the DSP, but also like this:

	pd -nogui -send "pd dsp 1" mypatch.pd

The problem can *not* be solved by specifying further flags such as
	-alsa
	-r 44100
	-audiodev [...]

as suggested at [1], [2] and possibly elsewhere. The only workaround for
me so far is to turn on the DSP later using a message from pdsend to
[netreceive].

Any ideas?

best,
flo.H