[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 58, Issue 125

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 15:25:40 CET 2010

tep wrote:
> Thanks for your answers.
> Matteo : i'm afraid it's the playback which is unsatisfying by itself .....
> i' ll have to "upgrade" to better computers.
> Thanks also for pointing out this synchro matter, which will be necessary
> anyway because the videos can last as long as 15 mn.. It should be fine,
> hopefully, by sending a "master clock" ascending value through udp.
> Otherwise, if it's like hiccup, i'll keep your idea of comparing incoming
> values to skip / pause the needed frames.
>
> Marco : which type of macs did you use ? Mine are fairly tired : it's both
> ibooks, with a 933Mhz processor.
>
> I first tried to launch my videos using VLC with the system object, which
> was much lighter for the computers. But the sync is not reliable at all, and
> the windows blink when opening : not clean enough for my installations ...

I was thinking of trying VLC but never did, since the GEM way was much
more flexible and I could create a nice interface in Pd.

I've used some very low end machines (both old macs running OSX and
debian on old PCs) as slaves quite successfully. Your ibooks will
probably handle DV playback adequately, especially if they are the
slaves and are not doing anything else. Quicktime has handled DV very
well since much effort was put in to get Final Cut Pro working smoothly
on the early G4s. Try using the raw DV format rather than the .mov
format, or try without audio.

Simon