[PD] A "multiple problem" with video playing

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 15:59:34 CET 2010

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> tep wrote:
>> Thanks Iohannes
>>
>> So, i can conclude that the slaves local frame clocks are taken from the
>> "local" gemhead objects, as explained in Matteo's answer ? Is it more
>> reliable/light than using a metro on each computer (which would allow me to
>> change the playback speed) ???
>
> well changing the playback speed with the [metro] might be
> unsatisfactory, because you will have all sorts of weird re-sampling
> artefacts.
>
> gemhead: +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +    +
> metro  : 0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   0   1   2
> frame  : 0    1    2    3    5    6    7    8    0    1    2
>
> as you can see, every fourth frame is dropped, which might look not so good.

The method I have used reliably and with smooth playback is a single
[metro] on the master machine, which sends the actual frame numbers to
all the other machines. I think the Gemwindows had quite high
framerates, linked to the refresh rates of the projectors.

All the [pix_film] objects have auto off, and are sent the frame number
explicitly so there is no playback speed at all - each frame is called
for independently. This allowed much more flexibility with seeking and
playback speeds, and has worked with 5 old G4 mac-minis showing a very
wide screen movie where it was vital that they showed exactly the same
frame (there was some very fast dance movement running across several
screens and the movies looped indefinitely).

Use the master to play any audio so that the metro stays in sync with
the soundtrack.

Simon