[PD] 'synced' number and slider

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 28 18:34:41 CET 2010

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

>> they don't.
>> there is no simple way to distinguish between "received"
>> messages and
>> those that come in through an "inlet". (there are ways,
>> involving proxy
>> objects; but this opens up another can of worms)
>
> They do currently cause different behavior (see what I wrote above).  If
> this is still unclear I can make an example patch later.

no they don't.
there are three ways to change the value of an iemgui:
#1 "send" it something
#2 send something through the "inlet"
#3 do GUI interaction (drag the slider)

the iemguis cannot distinguish between #1 and #2. so they behave
identically.
however, they now when #3 happens, so they expose a different behaviour.

> It's just that the incoming value doesn't get sent to the outlet because
> the slider has the same send/receive names. When I originally sent my
> suggestions to Hans I didn't notice this, and I still don't understand
> how it would cause a feedback loop if the value _did_ come out the
> outlet of the slider which is connected to the inlet.

anyhow, the canonical way is to use send/receive throughout if you share
the same send/receive name for iemguis.

>> and it is really no "magic".
>
> I think it's magic, in the sense that there's no way to implement
> this behavior manually in pd.  For an iemgui, you (currently) can't
> specify separate instructions for dataflow depending on whether the

you can just fine: don't use any send/receive names with the iemguis and
do the logic on the patch level.
the iemgui's "magic" is implemented in C, but it is not so low-level
that you cannot implement it in Pd.

fmasdr
IOhannes