[PD] 'synced' number and slider

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 04:50:34 CET 2010

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> In other words, whether you send a value through an inlet to
>> one of the linked iemguis, or use [send] to send a value to all the
>> linked iemguis, it should set the value on all linked iemguis.
>
> so how do you control a single iemgui then? (without side-effects to the
>  linked friends?)

I often use linked sliders, to duplicate controls in different places,
but rarely connect the inlets/outlets and only use the send/receive
symbols and the mouse. It can save quite a bit of messing around
controlling the sync manually, especially when an external control
surface like the BFC2000 is used. I assumed that the reason the
graphical representation of these inlets and outlets disappear when the
send and receive symbols are the same is that they become almost
useless. When this special behaviour isn't what I want I use two
different symbols.

Occasionally I have used the outlets, for special cases where slightly
different behaviour is required depending on which slider was moved, and
I guess the inlet is the way it is because it behaves internally the
same as the receive symbol ... anyway it can be useful for some kinds of
visual feedback, if used carefully.

But ... controlling a single GUI using its inlet is deceptive - the
position on the slider changes but this value is not output in any way,
does not alter the linked sliders and does not reflect the last value of
the s/r symbol ... the position of the GUI may or may not have been sent
to the [r] depending on whether it was moved by the mouse or by the inlet.

If I then bang the input, or move the slider a little, or click on the
GUI, so that this new value is sent then all the GUIs are moved to this
position, the [r] gets the new value and the local outlet gets the value
but the other outlets don't - matching the behaviour when I move a
single GUI.

Simon