[PD] routing pix_multiimage images to different geos

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Fri Jan 29 12:43:01 CET 2010

On 29 January 2010 00:53, Claude Heiland-Allen
<claudiusmaximus at goto10.org> wrote:
> James Dunn wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have 12 images that I am trying to scroll sequentially up the screen and
>> have tried using multiple gemheads (quite slow, even when turning them on
>> and off as they enter/leave the screen) and also tried using 2 rectangles
>> which follow each other (i.e. when the first one is off the top of the
>> screen, it is sent back to below the screen to follow the second one and
>> re-enters the screen with the next image loaded).
>> I've looked at pix_multiimage and it seems this would be a good option to
>> use as all the images are loaded into ram so this should speed things up
>> (the images are quite large - 1200 x 848). So my question is, is it possible
>> to send the output of pix_multiimage to different geos? Can I send image 1
>> of pix_multiimage to rectangle 1 and image 2 of pix_multiimage to rectangle
>> 2 at the same time? Or would I need to use 2 pix_multiimages? (Which kind of
>> defeats the point)
>>
>> Or is there a better way of doing this?
>
> I'd personally try something horribly inefficient but easier for me to
> understand like this, until GPU memory is filled or CPU->GPU memory
> bandwidth runs out, at which point I'd use the minimum number of rectangles
> that fill the screen and draw only those images:
>
> [gemhead]
> [t a b]/[0(
>  |       :
> [repeat 12]       << from zexy, or use [gemlist] and [until]
>  |       :
> [t a b]/[f]X[+1]
>  |       :\
> [pix_multiimage]
>  |       :
>  |      [pd index to coordinates etc]
>  |       |
> [translate]
> [rectangle]
>

> Claude
> --
> http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org

I'm not sure I quite understand what you have drawn here...? The use
of repeat will make the counter count up to 12 in each frame from the
gemhead right? So sending this to pix_multiimage will step through all
the images every frame, which is not what I want. I need at least two
rectangles, one with image0 textured on it, the other textured with
image1 (directly below image0). When image0 has scrolled off the top
of the screen, the rectangle should immediately return to the bottom
edge of the screen ready to re-enter with image2 loaded from
pix_multiimage.. hope this makes some sense. I had a thought of making
two pix_multiimages - one with the odd-numbered images loaded and one
with even-numbered images - so I'm going to try this first.
thanks

James