[PD] [PD-announce] first alpha hidio 0.1 release

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Jan 29 20:20:50 CET 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 1:19 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,

>>> But this sends to the console, IIRC?
>>
>> Yes, but you can get the info via the right outlet.  So you could do
>> your own search.  Or just open the device using the USB productID/
>> manufactuerID, or by USB HID class (i.e. mouse, joystick, gamepad).
>
> Maybe I have an old version, but the hidio-0.1 I have here doesn't
> send
> anything to the outlet for closed devices (I use Linux.) "devices"
> prints to console only,
> "info" prints this:
>
> open 0
> device -1
> total 0
> poll 5
> vendorID 0x0001
> productID 0x0000
> product Unknown
>
> regardless of what devices there are. If devices are open, it prints
> the info correctly.
>
> How do I open by PID? That would actually be what I want to do. Do I
> have to
> test-open all possible devices once?

I am assuming PID == productID.  It is possible to open using the
manuID productID, but there is no way to check if it is present or
not, except for opening one device at a time using [open $1( and a
number, then querying it.  For example [open 0x046d 0xc01d( opens my
mouse no matter what device number it is.

Do you have a use case where you would want to query and not just open?

"It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means we
don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of
Environmentalism", by Curtis White