[PD] latency solutions... and then some

Jeffrey Concepcion jeffreyconcepcion at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 04:28:40 CET 2010

Hi, y'all. i'm starting to get the hang of pd now (about a year in to it),
my main interest in using pd would be to create effects for processing my
instruments (primarily electric bass and acoustic drums) and accessing them
via an arduino footswitch and/or an arduinome i plan on making. My problem
is that i can't achieve a low enough latency to have a useful patch in a
live performance setting. so i have a few questions, if i can get as many of
you to answer them, maybe we can have a standard setup for this type of
processing (i apologize if this is common knowledge to many pders):

   - in terms of processor capacity, hardware, and sound card configuration,
   what would be the minimum requirements to achieve unnoticeable latency (not
   hear the affected signal as a slap-back type of effect)? i've read that 11ms
   can be achieved and is unnoticeable.
   - what is your setup for live processing? what do you think is the ideal
   setup for live processing? (i'd like you read Miller's thoughts on this)
   - what do you think will be the next big step in making sound art, be it
   musical, online group performances, new interfaces, whatever? (kind of a
   personal question, i know, but bear with me)

My thoughts on the last question: i'm intrigued by
photonics<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonics>,
from what i understand, the amount of information handled is gargantuan when
compared to electronics, and that would mean that electronic musicians (or
would we then be photonic musicians?, sounds catchy) would no longer have to
consider the limitations our equipment when composing/performing and our
imagination would truly be the only limitation. sorry if i seem romantic
about it, but it seems like such an interesting possibility.
here<http://emusician.com/futuretech/photonics_technology_electronic_musicians/>'s
an article by EM

--
www.avmachinists.org Puerto Rico based Art Collective/ Non-Profit Org