[PD] 'synced' number and slider

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 22:19:48 CET 2010

--- On Thu, 1/28/10, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> From: IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] 'synced' number and slider
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 6:34 PM
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> >>
> >> they don't.
> >> there is no simple way to distinguish between
> "received"
> >> messages and
> >> those that come in through an "inlet". (there are
> ways,
> >> involving proxy
> >> objects; but this opens up another can of worms)
> >
> > They do currently cause different behavior (see what I
> wrote above).  If
> > this is still unclear I can make an example patch
> later.
>
> no they don't.
> there are three ways to change the value of an iemgui:
> #1 "send" it something
> #2 send something through the "inlet"
> #3 do GUI interaction (drag the slider)
>
> the iemguis cannot distinguish between #1 and #2. so they
> behave
> identically.

Ok, I've got it now.  There is disparate behavior, but it is due to the
difference in behavior between a single wire connection vs. the [send]
object.  So I think this is just a documentation issue which can be
solved by putting the "simple rule" you mentioned in the help patches
for iemgui objects.

> however, they now when #3 happens, so they expose a
> different behaviour.
>

> > It's just that the incoming value doesn't get sent to
> the outlet because
> > the slider has the same send/receive names. When I
> originally sent my
> > suggestions to Hans I didn't notice this, and I still
> don't understand
> > how it would cause a feedback loop if the value _did_
> come out the
> > outlet of the slider which is connected to the inlet.
>
> anyhow, the canonical way is to use send/receive throughout
> if you share
> the same send/receive name for iemguis.
>

> >> and it is really no "magic".
> >
> > I think it's magic, in the sense that there's no way
> to implement
> > this behavior manually in pd.  For an iemgui, you
> (currently) can't
> > specify separate instructions for dataflow depending
> on whether the
>
> you can just fine: don't use any send/receive names with
> the iemguis and
> do the logic on the patch level.
> the iemgui's "magic" is implemented in C, but it is not so
> low-level
> that you cannot implement it in Pd.

Yes.  Disregard this.