[PD] float to a signal inlet

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:57:41 CET 2010

 > PS: as we all now, the above patch (and it's modern equivalent
 > [osc~] will produce ugly clicks when used like this; isn't it time
 > to request a built-in [line~]?

Oh my god no!!! I hope you're not serious about that!!!!!!

A built in line? With some arbitrary slope? What if one does want to
change the frequency in 0 time? (for example because she ensures that
the change happens at a zero crossing, or simple because one does want
to produce the clicks) Would you have to artificially create a 0-slope
signal, using for example [sig~] or some other object, which by the way
wouldn't have a built-in line (so the question would arise: which object
would deserve a built in line and which ones wouldn't?)???

One fundamental thing in Pd is that it does exactly what you tell it to
do (just like any serious programming language).

In a "high-level" object such as a "sampler" or "synthesiser" that is
suppose to act as a musical instrument, you do expect that the output
signal is always "nice", without clicks, whatever it implies. But on a
fundamental low-level object such as [osc~] you just expect to have
total control over it and that it does nothing more than you tell it...

¿no?

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com