[PD] latency solutions... and then some

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 11:25:09 CET 2010

hi,
I totally agree with Michal about the OS. I haven't tried MacOS but i know
for sure that XP can't beat a good rt Linux kernel.
That being said, I personnally spent about 6 months trying various Linux
distros before i found a good match with my hardware. Although I have had
very little luck with Ubuntu, you should probably start with this OS, and
then try other options (Pure:Dyne, Fedora with Planet CCRMA, 64 Studio...).
Most of these come with a live version which you can try without installing
anything.
Here's what I'd advise you to do everytime you install a new distro:
1) Install it or run the live cd (of course)
2) Run QJAckCtl or Jack Control to try the audio server first (google it to
find the proper settings for realtime use). If you don't get a decent
latency without any Xruns (shouldn't be higher than 6 ms on your hardware),
then you can either try another distro OR install the rt-kernel for your OS
(in case the standard install did not include it).
3) Once you are sure that JACK is working fine with a low latency and no
Xruns, you can try your Pd patches.

Hope this helps.

Pierre