[PD] shouldn't message boxes work as gui elements?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 23:04:11 CET 2010

> I don't know if this is already being addressed in the rewrite-gui
> version...
>
> I've always wondered why message boxes are not treated as gui elements,
> like number and symbol boxes, that is:
>
> - they do not graph on parent
> - they do not have a properties dialog with at least a send and receive
> symbol
>
> Is there some particular reason why it has been decided not to treat (or
> allow treating) message boxes as gui elements, or is it simply that it
> has never been felt as a priority to implement this feature? I mean,
> would it imply any drawback?

It would make some things really difficult to have them GOP --
sometimes you need to use them for bookkeeping things that have little
to do with making human-readable messages -- even simple things like
"if higher than five, send a 1, otherwise send "dog," but if zero turn
off pd dsp" are easier to do with message boxes, but you don't want to
see them on your graph because they have nothing to do with a patch
user, and you don't want to have to hide them out of the GOP
rectangle.  A separate gui object would probably be the best bet...
please don't make regular message boxes graph on parent.

Matt