[PD] shouldn't message boxes work as gui elements?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 00:41:40 CET 2010

Jonathan Wilkes escribió:

> The syntax you're talking about it extremely useful.  Even though you can
> do the same thing with [send] by setting the send-name with the right
> inlet, that gets extremely cumbersome when, say, initializing a bunch of
> values and using dollar signs.  The following is much easier:
> [;
> $1-pitch 60;
> $1-metro 96;
> $1-oscbank 32;
> $1-salad-bar optional
> (

I wasn't questioning its usefulness. I use that syntax daily and would
feel lost without it (btw in my previous post I erroneously said it
can't be replaced by anything, while as you say, it can but it is
extremely cumbersome)

I just meant that its existence doesn't in any way answer to the need of
a "send symbol". My ironic example was meant to demonstrate that asking
for "a box that automatically sends what you type into it to a given
target" is not the same as asking for "a box capable of sending messages
to any given target".

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com