[PD] Alias an internal with an abstraction

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Feb 13 05:54:47 CET 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 4:21 AM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 09:40 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 18:39 -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> Thanks, but that doesn't help so much with with the max to pd
>>> conversion. If I made it an external, I would be able to use it to
>>> replace the internal, right?
>>
>> I _think_ that this is not possible with Pd <= current versions.
>
> To correct myself: Since 0.42 or so there is way for externals to
> override internals.
> Personally I find it was wrong to implement this 'feature' without
> providing a mechanism for a patch to protect it from using externals
> that override internals. This really can make debugging hard and
> writing
> portable patches impossible.
>
> IIRC, there is even a documented case on the list, where someone
> posted
> a patch, that was working only on some computers because a slight
> difference between Pd's [wrap] and zexy's [wrap] and only on *some*
> machines zexy was installed and did override Pd's internal [wrap].

FYI: I agree with Roman.  I already removed the 0.42 aliasing feature
from Pd-extended 0.42.5

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler