[PD] (dynamically, temporarily) suppressing error message printing

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 19:40:17 CET 2010

Hi,

When I dream about the Pd of the future one of the few new features I
see (not so few as in Miller's dreams) is error handling.

In the meantime, is there a way to suppress (and restore) the printing
of error messages in the console? Maybe by sending some message to pd?

I'm using [textfile] to read and write files, and sometimes I cannot
foresee in advance whether a file exists or not, so I detect the file
doesn't exist by checking whether the [textfile] contains any message
after reading it (by banging it etc)... (ok I can't distinguish between
file-not-found and empty file but it's fine for me by now)
So in these cases I'd like to avoid printing an error message for a
condition that is indeed ok. Especially because it can happen a lot of
times and generate a huge lot of "junk" (in this case) erro rmessages
which make it difficult to read real useful output.

If I could send Pd a message to suppress error messages, I would do it
just before reading the file and restore them just after...

Is that possible?
Any other trick?

P.S. in Pd Vanilla if possible.

thanks