[PD] respawn PD with gui in Debian

Bart Koppe bk at a-bort.org
Wed Feb 17 22:54:05 CET 2010

Ok, solved!

In the end I did the following (or one way to build a kiosk pd):

I'm running a fresh install of Debian Lenny, I now disabled gdm.
update-rc.d -f gdm remove

Then I changed (thanks to the debian forums) the
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
entry in /etc/inittab to:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty tty1 --autologin myusername
and installed rungetty.
Then put the following at the top in ~/.bash_profile

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
while [ 1 == 1 ]
         do
                 startx
                 sleep 10
         done
fi

And ran init q, which made me happy.. :)

Then I edited my .xinitrc to:

#!/bin/sh
/home/abortx/./sw-daemon.sh &
sleep 4
/home/abortx/./pd-daemon.sh &
exec gnome-session

and all works. I only have to think about why using the standard gnome
window manager ;)

Actually pd does crash sometimes. I have one script sending live mjpeg
streams to vloopback (dev/video0). pdp_v4l seems to be the only object
that can read virtual loopback devices.. This I send again to GEM. Then
I also change the streams going to /dev/video0, so I don't make live
easy for pd ;)

Thanks all for your help, greatly appreciated!

Bart

- Douglas Adams

Bart Koppe
Franselaan 232C