[PD] turn a symbol to a message

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Feb 21 11:03:19 CET 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 20:01 +0100, Ignacio Lois wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I've been pulling my hair out for a while with an inexplicable
> problem.
> I'm trying to build an [open file.wav( message to feed a [readsf~]
> object.
> A [makefilename] object is returning the exact symbol. I'm connecting
> it to a [$1( message, and then onto the [readsf~] object and I get the
> error: "readsf~_ no method for 'open file.wav'
> If I replace the $1 message for the hard coded "open file.wav", it
> works perfectly.
> What am I doing wrong?

And yeah: Pd is missing a way to display the distinction between:

"'open file.wav'"       <- 'open file.wav' selector

and:

"'open' 'file.wav'"    <- message with 'open' selector
                          and 'file.wav' as first argument

Both look the same, when printed. This indeed could be confusing. How
about adding a 'debug' [print] option (-d?) to make [print] not decode
incoming message, but make it print all the implicit stuff, that is
usually hidden? Would that make sense?

Roman