[PD] Textfile vs. Lists vs. Arrays vs. ?

ailo infinite.ailomaa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 12:53:16 CET 2010

saint wrote:
> Thanks guys,
>
> So loading to RAM seems to be the solution.
>

> Anyone have any ideas how I do that in WinXP?
>
> Or what would the alternative methods of data storage that PD (vanilla) provides natively that operates to/from RAM?

If I understand correctly, once you have loaded a file into either
[textfile] or an [array] the data itself is stored in ram. So, the
solution should be to load all patterns that are to be used into ram
using one or both of these objects.

If using [textfile] and importing multiple files you could use two
instances of [textfile]. One which reads the files (one by one in any
order you want), and outputs all the data into a second [textfile]. The
second textfile does not read from file. It only holds the data. Then
you just need to rewind and bang.

I've been working on creating a sequencer which can record and play
simple midi-style data. For that I use tabread/tabwrite and tables/arrays.