[PD] integer values

volker böhm vboehm at gmx.ch
Mon Mar 1 19:26:46 CET 2010

thanks everybody for your suggestions.

matteo's example is close to what i need.
thanks for this trick, i'd probably never have thought of stacking two
sliders on top of each other.

i tried the same thing with an array (to have an arbitrary number of
sliders grouped together)  - but it doesn't work :(

[#many] looks interesting. i haven't fully explored its possibilities.
my impression is, it's good for clicking, but dragging to change
multiple values in one go, seems not possible (see my poor example
below).

On 01.03.2010, at 11:27, João Pais wrote:

> can you put an example of the patch you're doing? it might be easier
> to give suggestions in that way.

it's basically what matteo has posted - a slider, with values
quantized to integer steps.
why integers if you can have floats, you might ask:
suppose you wanted to cut a sample into 8 equal slices, and then want
to specify the order in which to playback the slices by a specific
sequence. in this szenario i'm not interested e.g. in the 2.4th slice,
i want either slice number 2 or 3.
therefore i'd like to have an interface that allows only integer
values and nothing in between.

this is just a simple example, but maybe it shows, why such a thing
might be useful from time to time.

ok, one slider is fine, only for making sequences it would be great to
have multiple sliders combined, to be able to drag horizontally for
easy editing of multiple values.

so here goes my akward design of an integer multislider thing:

#N canvas 78 22 553 384 10;
#N canvas 0 0 450 300 (subpatch) 0;
#X array a 8 float 3;
#A 0 1 5 3 5 2 4 6 2;
#X coords 0 7 8 0 200 140 1;
#X restore 71 53 graph;
#X obj 344 207 tabread a;
#X obj 344 121 until;
#X msg 344 98 8;
#X obj 344 149 counter 0 7;
#X obj 344 229 + 0.5;
#X obj 344 253 int;
#X obj 344 278 tabwrite a;
#X obj 344 176 t f f;
#X text 41 183 0 --;
#X text 43 46 7 --;
#X obj 344 73 metro 100;
#X obj 344 50 tgl 15 0 empty empty empty 17 7 0 10 -262144 -1 -1 1
1;
#X text 62 21 click and drag to edit values with mouse;
#X obj 344 20 loadbang;
#X connect 1 0 5 0;
#X connect 2 0 4 0;
#X connect 3 0 2 0;