[PD] A better pitch shifter?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 17:51:46 CET 2010

I've used this pitch shifter quite a lot for a number of different
things -- how you use it seems to depend completely on context.  For
instance, if you're shifting mostly sustained sounds (so that attacks
aren't so present), you can use a larger window size, which reduces
some of the modulation artifacts you get when you use a lower size.
You need the lower size for fast things, or things with strong
attacks.  I once experimented with trying to get the window to match
exactly period boundaries of the incoming sound (to reduce the
modulation completely), but it really only works with electronic
sounds where you can be absolutely sure of the frequency.

I have had luck in some rare cases mixing the output of two
pitchshifters set to the same transposition but different window sizes
-- again, no difference in latency, but it can help smooth things out
if you're really aggressively pitchshifting something (like, by a
perfect 12th), where "presence" isn't really something you're going to
be able to attain anyway.

I now keep several of them around with different settings for
different contexts.

Matt