[PD] gem and gmerlin on Ubuntu

Wed Mar 3 23:05:20 CET 2010

I've been struggling for the past few hours with ffmpeg trying to create an
video file that Gem will accept that contains an alpha channel from a series
of tiff images.  While searching for answers I found some messages that
mention that new versions of Gem are using gmerlin as an a/v decoder which
should open it to many more formats.

I'm currently on Ubuntu 9.10 with pd-extended version
0.42.5-extended-20091114.  I probably installed it from a .deb package
somewhere.  Gem info:
GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.93.CVS
GEM: compiled: Nov 14 2009

Is gmerlin support included in that Gem version?  Is it a simple matter of
enabling it?  Are the Gem .debs with it built in?  Will I have to compile
from source to get what I want?

Also, I'm fully open to any suggestions on how to make alpha-channel enabled
videos that Gem can read.
My ffmpeg line for jpeg sequences is:
ffmpeg -f image2 -vcodec copy -i sample%04d.jpg sample.avi

If I try the same with alpha enabled .png files, Gem throws errors about
MPNG:
<AVI reader> : Stream 0 vids : MPNG (0x474e504d) 117 chunks (0.46KB)
<reader> : Initialized video stream (chunk tblsz: 117, fmtsz: 40)
<codec keeper> : Found 5 plugins (/usr/lib/avifile-0.7,A:22,V:32)
<codec keeper> : CreateVideoDecoder(): Unknown codec 0x474e504d = "MPNG"

Thanks,

-martin