[PD] warning: class XXX overwritten - what does it mean?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 8 09:14:39 CET 2010

On 2010-03-07 17:58, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody explain what these warning messages mean, appearing on the
> Pd console at startup when I use GEM?:
>
> warning: class 'pix_filmQT' overwritten\; old one renamed
> 'pix_filmQT_aliased'
> warning: class 'pix_movieDS' overwritten\; old one renamed
> 'pix_movieDS_aliased'
> warning: class 'pix_videoDS' overwritten\; old one renamed
> 'pix_videoDS_aliased'
>
> Should I worry about them?
>
> The strangest thing is that the very same version of GEM can give these
> errors for example on a Vista machine and not on a Windows XP machine.
> Isn't it weird?

no.
it gives the warning with Pd>=0.42 and it doesn't give the error with
older Pd-versions (in those aged versions, you couldn't overwrite a class)
there has been loads of discussion whether this is a bug or a feature
(imho, it really is the latter; but it is a rather annoying feature,
that probably does more harm than good; but otoh, i have learned to live
with it and i can see a lot of potential...)

as for worrying: Gem>=0.92 should work fine, even if you get these warnings.

fmgasdr
IOhannes