[PD] Any experience with analog gamepad and [hid]?

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 17:03:22 CET 2010

Hi all!

I was wondering if anybody could provide me with some feedback about any
experience with a gamepad and [hid]. I use a DIY stompbox i made from a
(very) cheap analog gamepad, and i am experiencing some trouble with the
data i get from the analog potentiometers (i put one of them in an
expression pedal). Basically, 3 pots out of 4 don't cover the entire
theoretical range (0 to 256) and can only provide an input up to about 150.
The last pot does cover the whole range, but in a non-linear fashion. So i
was thinking of making another stompbox with a better quality gamepad, but i
want to make sure the problem comes from the cheap gamepad i used and not
from [hid] itself. By the way i use Pd-extended on Fedora 12 with the Planet
CCRMA rt-kernel.

Best,

Pierre

PS : it goes without saying that i did check the value of the pots in the
gamepad before replacing them.