[PD] pix_film alpha

Wed Mar 10 03:12:06 CET 2010

Hi all,

I managed to compile gem with gmerlin and now it reads my MPNG film well,
however, it still does not render with a transparent background.  I have a
series of png images which have the background removed in places so that
whatever is underneath shows through.  I've converted them to an mpng .avi
using

ffmpeg -i man%04d.png -vcodec copy reflect1.avi

If I do the reverse,

ffmpeg -i reflect1.avi -vcodec copy reflect-alpha%04d.png

Then the resulting images maintain the transparent background, so I know the
conversion process is working properly.

Now, when I import this film using pix_film, I just can't seem to make it
overlay the way I want it to.  The (transparent) background does not appear
transparent.

If I replace pix_film with pix_image and the original .png images in my
patch then everything works the way it should.

The reason I'm trying to use videos is that I have thousands of images (most
don't need to be transparent) and it loads images/draws faster than
pix_image and pix_multiimage tries to load everything into memory at once
(kills my laptop around 50 images) and atm I'm too lazy to figure out a
buffering system.

Can anyone suggest an alpha-enabled codec that might work properly with Gem?
 Am I missing an object somewhere?  Is there a good non-video way to do
this?  Has someone already made VJ mixing patches that might help me?

Thanks,

-martin