[PD] osx pduino: nothing works

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Mar 10 22:03:42 CET 2010

I don't have any ATMEGA8 boards anymore, so I am not in a position to
maintain that stuff.  Perhaps you could just bundle up the version you
got working, call it StandardFirmataAtmega8 and post it somewhere?

.hc

On Mar 10, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Derek Holzer wrote:

> Once I fixed the baudrate (thx!!!) it works fine. One student has
> trouble with an ATMEGA328 that I will have to troubleshoot tomorrow.
>
> Good idea to make a specific release, or at least label it in some
> way that makes it clear. I know it's ugly to support very old
> hardware, but I think there are a lot of those things out there in
> the world still.
>
> Best,
> D.
>
> On 3/10/10 7:03 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Keep in mind this is beta software so you were just a beta tester. It
>> would be great to incorporate your experience into the next release.
>>
>> Perhaps the best way to support the ATMEGA8 is to post a firmware
>> for it
>> somewhere, like StandardFirmataATMEGA8. It would just be
>> OldStandardFirmata/StandardFirmataV2_0 renamed to
>> StandardFirmataATMEGA8
>> and with the baud rate of 57600.
>>
>> What is only a question of the ATMEGA8? Or where there other
>> problems?
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Derek Holzer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi HC,
>>>
>>> thanks for clarification. I will try to find some time to stick it
>>> in
>>> the FLOSS Manual Pduino chapters later on. I did get the ATMEGA8s
>>> running with the new baudrate, now I have a problem with the
>>> ATMEG328
>>> but I will deal with that tomorrow.
>>>
>>> I tried to get all 12 students using same versions of everything but
>>> you know how hard that can be. What was supposed to be a 10 minute
>>> installation took the entire afternoon, along with questions about
>>> motors, circuits, mechanics and everything else in the middle of
>>> debugging. Not an optimal moment for concentration to fix a
>>> glitch...
>>> maybe I will stick to hardware-only workshops from now on, computers
>>> are only good for causing ulcers and hairloss!
>>>
>>> I landed here Sunday and started the workshop the next morning so I
>>> had no time to investigate what hardware the school had. I told them
>>> they should upgrade the ATMEGAs they have but you know how long that
>>> takes at any kind of institution ;-)
>>>
>>> Best from Helsinki!
>>> D.

>> ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
>>

> --
> ::: derek holzer ::: http://macumbista.net :::
> ---Oblique Strategy # 68:
> "Faced with a choice, do both"

"Making boring techno music is really easy with modern tools, but with
live coding, boring techno is much harder." - Chris McCormick