[PD] pd-ext and Ubuntu

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 04:20:00 CET 2010

I used to keep with Hardy then i unfortunately was forced to upgrade to
Jaunty.
liblame0 has been renamed (?) to libmp3lame0, so you may find it by that
name. It comes from the Multiverse repo, which is not enabled by default.
For all kinds of copyrighted stuff, add the Medibuntu.org repo. (It might or
might not solve this particular problem.)
Andras

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:

> liblame0 is not DFSG free because it is a patented algorithm in a number of
> countries, like the US and Germany.  That's why Debian and GnuSense don't
> distribute it.  Ubuntu is probably based in a country where that patent
> isn't valid, so they choose to include it.
>
> hc
>
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 2:23 AM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
>  Hello,
>>    I've got a box with gNewSense 2.3-deltah which I've read is based on
>> Ubuntu Hardy.  When I try to install the package from the download page,
>> or
>> install one of the nightly builds, I get an error about a missing
>> dependency
>> liblame0.  I saw an "ugly hack" listed here:
>>
>> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-09/065299.html
>>
>> It works but the package is still listed as broken in Synaptic.  Does this
>> happen for other people on Hardy or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jonathan

> "[W]e have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we are
> deliberately throwing it away to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
>      -John Gilmore

Muranyi Andras