[PD] Using Pd to play drums in a band

Andrew Faraday jbturgid at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 23:13:45 CET 2010

Any tap tempo device is tricky, simply put you probably won't be able to tap consistently enough to keep the figure consistent. Which is why a lot of commercial tap tempos have some form of averaging algorithm. With a bit of practice you can get close enough to match existing music for maybe 4 or 8 bars. Here's the clever bit, if you're working with live (electronic or acoustic) musicians they will usually start to sync up to drums in this time, assuming they're close to the original tempo.
Have you had any luck in building a step sequencer, by the way?