[PD] data structures: variable array element + variable resolution?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 07:09:00 CET 2010

--- On Mon, 3/15/10, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:

> From: João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [PD] data structures: variable array element + variable resolution?
> To: "PD-List" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Monday, March 15, 2010, 3:10 AM
> Hi,
>
> I had a couple of questions about data structures:
>
> - I have an array based on template X. I wanted to make
> variations on the drawing of that array, by changing a
> variable in template X. The thing is, I can't access X when
> it's inside an array. Is there a way to get a pointer to the
> X templates inside an array?

[element]

> I also tried creating an extra instance of X and change the
> variable of that template. Unfortunately it had no effect on
> the same templates inside the array.

Right, you're just changing the value for that particular scalar.

> - I have a variable being plotted with a step value of 1:
> [plot -y y(0:100)(-1:1)(1) ...]. I wanted to change the step
> value on the fly, but when I wrote (step) instead of (1),
> there was a "parse error". Does that mean that the step is
> always the same at each template? Is isn't possible to
> assign a variable to the step value?

As far as I can tell you are right, unfortunately.  You can hack around
this by taking the output from the [struct] and quantizing it yourself
(i.e., [get] the y value, [div] by your desired step size, and [set] the y value, all the time keeping track of the "real" y value using the difference between the current and previous y).

Oh, but if it's an array, you won't get output from a [struct] when you
move the elements.  So nevermind.

> If if isn't possible to do any of these operations, I might
> be able to circumvent the problem by deleting and creating
> new objects. Afaik it isn't possible to edit an object, it's
> necessary to cut it and create a new one. Am I correct, or
> is there a new possibility I don't know yet?

If you don't care about the flickering, you could do something like what's
attached.  Notice that you have to name the template folder something
different than the struct.

-Jonathan