[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these, compare?

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Thu Mar 18 18:20:30 CET 2010

> Well I think Max and PD _are_ quite comparable; their domains do overlap
> quite a lot, though of course they are not identical.
> And though it is absurd to state that one is plainly better than the other,
> it _is_ reasonable to discuss in which aspects one is better and in which
> others the other is.

Well, what is reasonable is quite subjective though. Anyway I referred to a
"global" comparison, as you said the (_computing_) domain of both do
overlap, but I specified the importance that IMHO the community supporting
the project has.
I personally don't think the community approach of Max is comparable to Pd.
As concerning the documentation issue, well I think it is a constant topic
while discussing about free or open source software, but reading
documentation is not the only way to learn something. Again, the way you
look for knowledge depends just on your personal approach.
I started with Max (at university, our prof. gave us cracked copies to use),
and then I migrate to Pd _also_ because I found many people around me, or in
the different places i happened to be, who were incredibly glad and excited
while sharing their knowledge.
I'm not saying this does not happen for Max users, actually i don't know,
just explaining my experience.
(anyway there is plenty of documentation about Pd, i don't know when I will
finish to read everything, perhaps, yes, sometimes it is not so easy to
find)

--
Marco Donnarumma aka TheSAD
Independent New Media Arts Professional, Performer, Teacher - Edinburgh, UK

PORTFOLIO: http://marcodonnarumma.com
LAB: http://www.thesaddj.com | http://cntrl.sourceforge.net |
http://www.flxer.net
EVENT: http://www.liveperformersmeeting.net