[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these compare?

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Thu Mar 18 18:38:24 CET 2010

Hi Jonathan,
I think it can be, of course it is not for everybody. it was for me too :9

However, as somebody already answered, few things could improve the beg
phase of a learning curve.
The plugin introduced in Pd 0.43 which shows a category dropdown menu which
can be used to recall objects in a easier way and _above all_ without
knowing about their existence could be one of those enhancement.
Also I wonder about a stronger background color difference among few objects
(i.e. a different color for [inlet]/[outlet], [send]/[receive], or tilde
objects).
And probably more recent embedded tutorials to get started (and I feel
ashamed I still didn't contribute, many thanks to all the people who already
did it).

Anyway learning Pd is _not_ easy and it doesn't have to be. Hence the
learning curve and learning tools could be improved, but you still should be
aware that if you want to be able to master such a flexible computing
capability you need to get your hands (and mind) dirty. I think it's worth,
and I wouldn't like it to be easier.
Studying and Teaching I found Pd can operate kind of "natural selection"
that sometimes is needed in some context.

--
Marco Donnarumma aka TheSAD
Independent New Media Arts Professional, Performer, Teacher - Edinburgh, UK

PORTFOLIO: http://marcodonnarumma.com
LAB: http://www.thesaddj.com | http://cntrl.sourceforge.net |
http://www.flxer.net
EVENT: http://www.liveperformersmeeting.net