[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these, compare?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 20:23:28 CET 2010

Marco Donnarumma escribió:

> Well, what is reasonable is quite subjective though.

You have a point :)

 > Anyway I referred
> to a "global" comparison, as you said the (_computing_) domain of both
> do overlap, but I specified the importance that IMHO the community
> supporting the project has.
> I personally don't think the community approach of Max is comparable to Pd.

I agree here. Well, I don't know if I agree that they are not
comparable, I agree they are hugely different. But yes, when you need to
chose between two "comparable" software, the kind of community
surrounding them is a factor you have to take into account, and indeed,
neither "kind of community" is better, it is just a matter of which one
best suit your needs (i.e.: you prefer a company that sells the software
and that can give you support for a fee, or that you can expect support
from since you paid the software, or you may prefer an open source
community where thanks to open source fixes and solutions are often
quickly available)...... so it's like you said

 > reading
> documentation is not the only way to learn something. Again, the way you
> look for knowledge depends just on your personal approach.

Yes of course; I was just pointing out a particular aspect, that is
documentation (in a somewhat wide sense though: documentation proper
i.e. manual; help patches; tutorials...)

> (anyway there is plenty of documentation about Pd,

Yeah, it is not a matter of quantity ;)

But however, I am a fan of Pd, don't make me feel like I am "on the
opposite side" :)

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com