[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these compare?

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Fri Mar 19 09:58:48 CET 2010

> I'm almost finished revising the docs: 2.control.examples,
> 3.audio.examples, 4.data.structures, and 5.reference.  I'll post them to
> the list when I'm done (should be shortly).

cool!

> >Anyway learning Pd is _not_ easy and it doesn't have to be. Hence the
> >learning curve and learning tools could be improved, but you still should
> >be aware that if you want to be able to master such a flexible computing
> >capability you need to get your hands (and mind) dirty. I think it's
> >worth, and I wouldn't like it to be easier.
>
> I disagree-- I would like it to be easier, and it should be easier.  More
> time spent trying to figure out how dollarsym atoms get expanded is less
> time spent making music.  The last paragraph of Pd Manual 2.6.5 doesn't
> reflect the current state of Pd, btw.  Do items like that belong on the
> bug tracker?

Well, I agree It could be a better learning, but Michael stole my thought:

" If I am not interested in solving problems
algorithmically through programming, I will not use Pd but some other
software that will help me accomplish my goals via some other means
that I can understand better."

> >Studying and Teaching I found Pd can operate kind of "natural selection"
> >that sometimes is needed in some context.
>
> By that logic there should be even less documentation (or more outdated/
> erroneous docs).  But what are the characteristics that make students fit
> enough to avoid death and reproduce themselves into the next generation of
> the Pd learning environment?  As far as I can tell, Pd crashes will remain
> Pd crashes, regardless of whether the output isn't boring, so I don't
> think I understand what you mean.

mm.. why less documentation? Could be better and updated documentation as
you are doing. Be sure that who's studying and teaching to learn Pd (and not
to _instantly_ make music) will be very grateful (i am the first!)
ehehe, probably my statement was slightly "racist", apologies, I only mean
"what makes students fit enough to use Pd, or to die in the boredom of
User-friendly soft".
The _process_ of learning any kind of programming language play an essential
role in the way you will use it in the future.
As Michael outlined too, I don't think it would be useful to show students
there exist a supercool ready-made drum sequencer, but i prefer to teach
first how to load a sample in a table, explaining how they can get a drum
sequencer from there.
Talking about Pd It's fundamental to learn how things works, imho.

--
Marco Donnarumma aka TheSAD
Independent New Media Arts Professional, Performer, Teacher - Edinburgh, UK

PORTFOLIO: http://marcodonnarumma.com
LAB: http://www.thesaddj.com | http://cntrl.sourceforge.net |
http://www.flxer.net
EVENT: http://www.liveperformersmeeting.net