[PD] Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these, compare?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Mar 19 19:08:51 CET 2010

Hallo,
Pierre Massat hat gesagt: // Pierre Massat wrote:

> Another thing that'd be nice to make available for new users would be a
> comprehensive set of generic patches, which would cover the whole range of
> DSP audio. A little bit like Puckette's audio help patches, only on a higher
> level (stuff like a basic drum machine, a comprehensive synth, granular
> synthesis, etc). I know that these aren't impossible to find, but it'd be
> nice to have it all in the same place.

The "rj" library developed for the creation of RjDj scenes, but also usable
outside, tries exactly that. It is all abstractions, all run on Pd vanilla, no
externals, not complicated -path setup needed, it has IMO pretty good help
files (I wrote most, so I have to say this) and it provides a lot of everyday
musician's tools plus some analysis and composition helpers.

It's deliberatly minimal, so that it doesn't overwhelm a newbie user with
hundreds of objects.  It's philosophy is "often-needed batteries included". For
example, from [list]-abs it has a "listmap", "listdrip", "listreduce",
"listfilter", "listrandom" and "listnth", but not the other 50 or so list
objects. The included objects will solve about 80% of your everyday list-use,
for the rest, you can still resort to the full [list]-abs objects. Similar
approaches have been taken for other areas.

So far it has proven to be a successful base for many interesting music pieces
written in Pd for RjDj. Check out trac.rjdj.me for details.

Ciao
--
Frank