[PD] pix_snap + pix_record = problem

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 20:10:49 CET 2010

Hi,

I think I've found what triggers the problem (and avoiding it I can get
things to work fine).

It seems to happen when these things happen in this order:

1) The [gemhead] driving the [pix_snap] and [pix_record] is disabled
(via a 0 message) _before_ the gemwin is created (for example, at loadbang)

2) After creating the gemwin, the gemhead is not enabled until _just
before_ the "record 1" and "auto 1" messages are sent to [pix_record].

That is, the following sequence of actions, that should be perfectly
legal, leads to malfunctioning:

i) disabling the gemhead driving pix_snap and pix_record
(some time passes)
ii) creating the gemwin
(some time passes)
iii) filename is given to pix_record
(some time passes)
iv) the following is done in 0 logical time:
iv.1) enabling the gemhead
iv.2) "record 1" message to pix_record
iv.3) "auto 1" message to pix_record

This can lead to either of two malfunctioning and unrecoverable situations:

A) immediate crash

B) pix_record outputs some error messages and does not record;
    The pix_record will never recover. Even if you do a sequence of
steps that would normally lead to good functioning (e.g.:
destroy/recreate the gemwin, enabling the gemhead, repeating steps iii,
iv.2 and iv.3 in non-zero time), it won't work any more.

I wouldn't expect this to cause any problem; at the very least,
pix_record should:
- never crash
- give a meaningful error message if the situation presented is actually
illegal for some reason
- recover and work correctly when "normality" is reestablished

Well all this is basically a bug report so I will file it to the bug
tracker. I just thoght I'd let you know that I had found the workaround;
then while writing it came out as if i was filing a bug report...
Also, if anybody can confirm the issue on other platforms beside windows
and/or explain why this behaviour should be expected (except the crashes
of course), that would be helpful.

thanks
m.

--