[PD] mic preamp: hardware or inside Pd?

Roberto Duarte roberto.duarte at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 23:31:17 CET 2010

its a instrument with a 3d bridge on the middle, dividing the string into 2 half-strings, the idea is to play basically with harmonics.. You play on the side opposed to the pickup on a lap steel or slide fashion,
There is a project on a very good book: Musical Instruments Design by Bart Hopkin
other info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_bridge
best
Robert

El 21/03/2010, a las 21:26, Pierre Massat escribió:

> Well, then i just wouldn't worry about a pre-amp.
> What is a 3 bridges guitar by the way?
>
> Pierre
>
> 2010/3/21 Roberto Duarte <roberto.duarte at gmail.com>
> Thanks Pierre,
> what i want to do is to get some noises through these coil mics and amplify some objects with piezo mics, no recording here, I mean will be also real time processing, just for jamming and get used to Pd.
> Eventually I will want to plug in a lap steel guitar or a 3 bridges guitar, it depend on if I can, finally manage to build one...
> Could be nice a warm tube preamp sound, but for this, is not really needed.
>
> Best
>
> Roberto
>

> El 21/03/2010, a las 13:29, Pierre Massat escribió:
>
>> Hi Roberto,
>>
>> I don't know much about what you're asking, but i do know that building audio hardware isn't easy at all, and probably eventually just as expensive as industrial products.
>> Now concerning the question of whether you should amplify the signal within Pd or not, i'd say it all depends on your needs. If you want to record a singer or an instrument it's always good to have an analog pre-amp before you feed the signal into Pd. If you need it for something else it may not be necessary.
>> I personnaly use Pd to process the sound of my electric guitar in real-time. For this i use a usb interface (EMU 0404), and the Pd-processed sound ends up in my tube amp.
>> Anyway, it is very much a matter of taste here, i mean if you like the sound of your mics without a pre-amp it's fine. Amplifying the sound in Pd will not change the sound, whereas amplifying it first with a pre-amp will change it (depending on whether it has tubes, and on the general quality of the product). You just have to choose what you like most.
>>
>> Pierre
>>
>> 2010/3/21 Roberto Duarte <roberto.duarte at gmail.com>
>> Hello all,
>> maybe somebody could bring me some lights about this:
>>
>> I want to jam with some piezos and coil mics, I could get a cheap M-Audio Quattro or similar (no pre amp included) and all this into Pd for some processing.
>>
>> What would be better:
>> 1. to get or build some hardware preamps or
>> 2. to amplify  the signal inside Pd?
>>
>> Another way to go could be, instead of buying a dedicated Audio Interface, build one on an Arduino board or on this new CUI32 USB board, using those (several) analog inputs. For me, in a way could be good also, because of learning how to do it.
>>
>> I will appreciate any help or tip on this..
>>
>> Roberto
>>

>> Roberto Duarte
>> +49 30 639 16015
>> +49 176 967 64274

> [...]