[PD] A bunch of revised help patches

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Mar 22 23:30:28 CET 2010

Hey Jonathan,

Its quite an bit of work, thanks for taking it on.  Its a definite
improvement overall.  Here are my comments that sent you off-list that
I think are still applicable:

* I think we should omit a section if its empty, like the 'arguments'
section in abs-help.pd Omitting sections that are empty will make the
help patch look cleaner, and people will learn that if there isn't a
certain section, it means that there are not inlets/outlets/
arguments.  It could also be added to your help help patch, which is a
great idea by the way.

* think that all help patches should have the same width, but the
height should be adjusted to minimize white space, like with abs-help.pd

* I think we should make the help patches per object, not the mega-
helps like Miller makes (acoustics, etc.) If you want to make help
patches for things like mtof~, I'll make the changes in Pd-extended so
that it has its own help patch

* I think the pddp/dsp should be standalone without the box and text.
If people don't know what it is, they can get help on it.  Its pretty
easy to do a text search-n-replace on 'pddp/dsp' to replace that
object with another, so I don't see the value of the added complexity
of the wrapper.

* rather than use number boxes for sending numbers using the mouse, I
think a slider is a lot more user-friendly.  If the numbers are
important, then there can be a number box attached to the slider or
something like that.  When space is a concern, the sliders can be
smaller than default.

* the "arguments" section should use the same number bar canvas things
as the inlets and outlets sections

For Pd-extended, 2.control.examples, 3.audio.examples, and
4.data.structures are all taken directly from Miller, so those changes
would have to go thru him.  I think you could distribute those
separately for now.

.hc