[PD] Max Smoother Audio than Pd? (was: Pd, Max/Msp, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule... How do these compare?)

Alexandre Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 01:20:34 CET 2010

"I feel Max produce a smoother audio than Pd. Didit"

So, did anybody get to this and finished up the discussion (I didn't see it,
sorry)?

Anyway, it doesn't make sense to me.  For starters, the sound is made by
your sound card (and whatever you feed it) and your speakers actually. It's
al numbers inside! And they're computed by your CPU... as far as the
software goes, it doesn't generate randomly noisely distorted signals. Or
does it? :)

Well, actually, in this software, most of what you get is not provided by
the software. You get a blank canvas when you start it, in other words:
"What you did is what you get".

Sometimes the clicking can be some silly detail like using a 5ms [line~] in
switching the the gain... or some other bug, we'd have to see what you're
doing.

So, I think this is an important myth to get over... I hope this thread gets
to it.

Cheers
Alex