[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 60, Issue 101

Alexandre Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 20:30:18 CET 2010

> I'd like to hear something composed by a king of pd patches, for the fun.

have fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA4PbPKZuwk

Oh, by the way, as I said, usually, programmers work in partnership with
composers, as the case above. Both worked together in the 80's at IRCAM
(with max) and still do now in San Diego (with Pd).

> I've no clue about how max instrument patches sounds
> no way to make something smooth enough to be commercial
> unless knowing by heart all the dsp tricks

That's the "what you get is what you did" rule I said before.

but more than that, people don't go for this kind of thing if their interest
is mostly synthesis. There are tons of synthesizers in the world, made by
people who know all the DSP tricks (engeneers in fact). The cool thing about
programng is that you can create new interactive stuff, controllers, tell me
machine when to react and what to do if this and that... all in realtime,
and then use it to control even a hardware synthesizer.

Here's an example, there are tons of Phase Vocoders, several plug ins, but
none work in realtime. But actually, pd comes with a Phase Vocoder that was
just about ready to be used live in realtime. So I tweaked it, I've been
told these patces of mine look like ableton live... they use nothing but
objects from Pd-Vanilla. Phase Vocoding Abstractions: [PVoc.pd] &
[LPVoc.pd]<http://sites.google.com/site/porres/PhaseVoc.zip?attredirects=0>

And I'm far from considering myself a "pd king", this is basic stuff for
me...

cheers

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:36:54 +0100 (CET)