[PD] DirectShow pix_film unusable - was: Re: GEM: forcing the use of Quicktime with pix_flim??

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 20:31:27 CET 2010

Hi,

So does anybody use [pix_film] on Windows with DirectShow (as opposed to
QuickTime) and get decent performance?

Whenever I send an [open ( message to a pix_film, it starts eating up a
lot of CPU and it never stops afterwards, even if I send it [auto 0(
and/or disconnect the gemhead from it.
More than a couple of [pix_film] lead to an unusable patch.

I have tried with a couple more codecs (besides DV-PAL: namely
"animation" and h264) with DirectShow and the same happens, so it is not
something specific to DV-PAL.

If I use QuickTime (thanks to the list for hints to force gem to use
Quicktime) everything goes smooth. Isn't it strange? Chris wrote:

 > On Windows, DirectShow is typically much, much faster than Quicktime
 > (which Apple abandoned a while back).

I also tried ffdshow-tryout codecs as Chris suggested but nothing changed.

thanks
m.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette