[PD] any mac OS terminal experts?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:29:19 CET 2010

On Mar 27, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Michal Seta wrote:

> IIRC you need the command 'open' to run some commands on MacOSX  (if
> they are not in the usual /usr/bin directory, or similar).

.. but, no I don't have to use open.  I simply call the binary from inside the app bundle.  I have been using this for a while now and it works fine.

pdsend, for example, is distributed in Pd-extended.app.  How do I run it using open?  "open -a Pd-Extended .... "?

> for using pdsend on MacOS I had to this:
> echo "YOUR_DATA";|/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pdsend
> PORT
>
> I'd open the Pd application by
> open /Applications/Pd-extended.app

or

open -a Pd-extended

> (just make sure to replace Pd-extended.app by whatever Pd you use)
>
> So, if you are creating scripts that are to be portable between linux
> and MacOS you should check for OS first and then construct your
> commands accordingly.

No, I don't have to.  Why not just add 4 lines to .bash_profile ... isn't that what it's there for?

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 27, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 26, 2010, at 10:09 PM, errordeveloper at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Dan, i am sorry but your function { } business is teribly misleading!
>> it's gust alias pd="/path/to/app/bin/pd" that anyone would ever need ..
>>
>> Yeah, I hadn't tried an alias.  I think it's a better option.
>>
>> Ok, I added the above information to the puredata.info docs.  I was going to
>> do it earlier, but the function definitions I was using originally were
>> throwing annoying errors in places that call .bash_profile (Xcode).  Now
>> everything is peachy using aliases.
>> I know it seems redundant to repost info thats now archive on the list ...
>> but isn't the webpage wiki where most of these tips and tricks out to go
>> anyway?

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com