[PD] expr size() refuses some array names

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 21:42:38 CET 2010

Derek Holzer escribió:
> Yes, I was going to say next that [expr] doesn't take $1 or $0, it takes
> $f1, $f2 etc etc. That's why it won't create.

It does take $0 and $1 etc, it just means a completely different thing
than $f1, $f2 etc.

$1 is the creation argument of the patch containing [expr] and it
expands to its value, just like it would in any other object.

And regarding array names, [expr size("foo$1")] does create and does
work (also with $0)

The problem is not specific to dollar signs: the problem is that expr
won't accept a name (for the array in this case) that starts with a
number, or that contains an aritmetical operation sign. Which, besides
not allowing for names that are legal in Pd, seems like an error in the
parsing process, because it seems it applies the same rules inside
quotation marks that it would apply without quotes.

Maybe the same problem would apply to variables (meaning [value]s) as
well as arrays, I don't know - and maybe the workaround you suggested
applies to that case...

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com