[PD] Weird [delread~] behavior under -nogui

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 21:51:25 CET 2010

Somebody wrote:

 >> The way I remember it, anything to do with tables or other allocated
 >> memory can break with -nogui. [tabwrite~], [tabread~], [delwrite~],
 >> [delread~], [vd~] etc etc....

I'm very curious about this issue and quite surprised, since I have been
using -nogui for a long time, with quite a lot of tables and
[tabread/write~]s, and also some [delread/write~]s (no vd~ though), and
I never experienced any such issue...

May any of the following things be the reason why I don't experience
this issue?

1) I work under Windows
2) The patch running in -nogui has almost no gui objects (maybe a couple
of numberboxes and toggles or so) and no gop-enabled subpatch or
abstraction at all.
3) _Every_ single abstraction that contains any dsp objects (or some
"ascendant" of it), always contains a [switch~], which is loadbanged to
off, and later explicitly turned on when needed.
4) I also turn dsp off and on with [; pd dsp 1/0( messages. I think dsp
is always turned off and on at least once before "showtime".
5) All is controlled via [netreceive] from another patch, running on
another instance of Pd, which has gui and doesn't process any sound (it
is a "gui-engine" architecture)

I guess (3) is the best candidate...?

None of the mentioned things was done with the aim of avoiding this
issue since I didn't know anything about it...

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com
http://www.matteosistisette.com