[PD] Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:05:01 CEST 2010

Frank wrote:

 > It's not so much the tool, as it is the skills that makes music
 > sound good.

That is true for really good tools. Needless to say that Pd is one of them.

But there are a lot of tools out there with which it is not so much the
skills as it is the tool that makes music sound good - meaning that a
completely unskilled musician can make something that sounds "pretty
good", and a skilled musician cannot make things sound much better (and
usually won't use such tools). In those cases the music usually "sounds
like the tool". Those are bad tools for making music, though they can be
excellent tools for having fun.

 > If you use a [phasor~] as a sawtooth oscillator source,
 > you're "wrong" in both Max and Pd.

Sorry may I ask why? Do you mean that using a sawtooth oscillator source
is a wrong starting point for creating interesting music, or that
[phasor~] is not the right object to use as a sawtooth oscillator?? In
the latter case, what should you use instead??

(ohhh, I see maybe: it is because of aliasing isn't it? indeed I always
wondered: how do you simulate a sawtooth oscillator and avoid aliasing
[without a huge oversampling and filtering]?)

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com
http://www.matteosistisette.com