[PD] Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 28 18:19:24 CEST 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 02:05:01PM +0200, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> > If you use a [phasor~] as a sawtooth oscillator source,
> > you're "wrong" in both Max and Pd.
> (ohhh, I see maybe: it is because of aliasing isn't it? indeed I always
> wondered: how do you simulate a sawtooth oscillator and avoid aliasing
> [without a huge oversampling and filtering]?)

Indeed, it's mainly about the aliasing, and also a bit about some other
things like making your oscillators more interesting by modulating
phase or frequency and changing their harmonic contents.

But for anti-aliasing, the rj library includes several oscillators that apply
the "Transition Splicing" principle explained in Miller's book. It's a cheap
way both in memory and CPU to get phat squares and saws. The rj-versions even
are a bit cheaper as the examples in the docs because they only use [tabread~]
instead of [tabread4~] at the transitions. rj is geared towards mobile devices
with slower CPUs. For even better sounding oscillators, check Cyrille's
versions.

I support Max Mathews' recommendation of reading "The Theory and Technique of
Electronic Music" once you're past the initial learning curve of Pd. It's an
invaluable ressource for making nice sounding things (not only) in Pd.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__