[PD] tabread4~ "broken" interpolation algorithm - was Re: Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 29 17:14:55 CEST 2010

Hi all-

I haven't looked at Cyrille's interpolator but... tabread4~ uses true cubic
interpolation (which perhaps Cyrille's object also does in some other way).
The tabread4~ algorithm is to put a cubic through the 4 points surrounding
the input point.  However, this cubic curve does not necessarily match the
next curve over in first derivative.

A workaround is to up-sample everybody by a factor of 2 - this dramatically
reduces error, usually by 24 dB.

All described in chapter 2 of my book,
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques.htm

cheers