[PD] And finally... netbook recommendation

martin brinkmann mnb at martin-brinkmann.de
Tue Mar 30 13:07:27 CEST 2010

Jerome Covington wrote:
> Are there any recommendations on netbook/audio interface combinations
> for further development and performance using pd?

i would recommend not to use a netbook, or any other atom-based system,
because the performance with pd is rather poor. my aspire one with
1.6ghz does not come close to my old pentium m with 1.4 ghz. it feels
more like a machine with about 900 mhz cpu. (i think this is caused
by pd not making use of hyperthreading) latency of internalk sound
is about 20 ms with oss on ubuntu karmic. (and a little lower,
when i refrain from moving/opening other windows and no system
update etc. is running in the background)

bis denn!
	martin