[PD] And finally... netbook recommendation

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 30 13:58:38 CEST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:07:27PM +0200, martin brinkmann wrote:
> Jerome Covington wrote:
> > Are there any recommendations on netbook/audio interface combinations
> > for further development and performance using pd?
>
> i would recommend not to use a netbook, or any other atom-based system,
> because the performance with pd is rather poor.

A good alternative are subnotebooks with Intel's ULV processors inside. I
recently got myself an Acer Timeline 13" with the SU3500 CPU. It's actually
pretty fast, still light (~1.7kg), battery life is up to 8 hours and for Pd I
only need one CPU core anyway. :) Similar laptops are available from other
manufacturers as well.

Acers Timeline 1810 or other ULV devices with smaller 11" displays may even
give you the netbook feel. My eyes aren't good enough anymore to use 9" or 10"
screens for longer periods of time.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__