[PD] tabread4~ "broken" interpolation algorithm - was Re:, Max Smoother Audio than Pd?

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 14:15:51 CEST 2010

 > So to me
 > it still remains unclear in what aspect [tabread4~] is superior
 > to [tabread4c~], from both a theoretical and from an empirical
 > perspective.

The answer may be here:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=8151

Btw does anybody have access to that article?

"The analysis reveals an interesting performance trade-off between
signal-to-noise ratio and passband flatness."

So since it seems quite obvious that discontinuities (tabread4) generate
more high-frequency noise (and assuming that is the most relevant source
of noise), the only aspect where tabread4 can be superior may be
"passband flatness". Indeed, intuitively it seems plausible: passband
flatness means that the low-frequency part of the signal is more close
to the "original" (the ideal perfectly interpolated signal); and I do
expect that an interpolator that doesn't try to match first derivatives
is less likely to do crazy oscillations.

It would be interesting to see a zoom-in of the low frequency part of
Charles Henry's graph (the ripples in the flat zone).

However, even in presence of a tradeoff that makes some sense (i.e. each
of the two choices has advantages and disadvantages), it seems to me
that for audio applications the generated high-frequency noise due to
discontinuities should be _hugely_ worse than the passband-non-flatness.

I'd really like to see and hear an example of a case where this isn't
true, that is, where tabread4 gives better results than tabread4c.

This other article seems to contain an answer:

http://www.akademiai.com/content/r0192mk0908k31k3/
http://www.akademiai.com/content/r0192mk0908k31k3/fulltext.pdf?page=1

"The aim of this paper is to give a positive answer for a
problem [...]:
Do there exist a system of nodes and function class for which the
Lagrange process is better than the Hermite-Fej6r one?"

If anybody has access and can share it that would be great.

Now regarding Matt's words:

 > I have read that the Lagrange interpolators have better stopband
 > attenuation and Hermites have flatter passband response, but I'm not
 > sure this is true

Is it possible that it is exactly viceversa?

By the way thanks again Matt (and everybody else who contributed to this
thread) for the didactic effort and the links.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette
matteosistisette at gmail.com
http://www.matteosistisette.com