[PD] compiling Pd-extended on Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 31 09:52:19 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 21:20 -0400, Ichabod wrote:
> Thanks, Roman.  I did sudo make uninstall and then sudo aptitude
> build-dep puredata, then autoconf and ./configure again (also tried it
> with --enable-alsa), then make depend and sudo make install, but I
> still get the same problems.  Am I doing something wrong?

I am not familiar with pd-extended in particular, only with compiling
puredata, but since perform those commands from
~/Pd-0.41.4-extended/pd/src, I assume, it's very similar there.

./configure should already give you a hint, whether your Pd will support
alsa or jack. Alsa should be auto-detected, and jack will only be
auto-detected, if you enable it.

So do:

$ ./configure --enable-jack

and check, if you see those lines:

and:

checking for jack_set_xrun_callback in -ljack... yes

If both checks return yes, then only it is worth trying to compile the
whole thing (Don't know about OSS, but this probably comes with alsa).

As mentioned by Hans, in order to compile all the externals you probably
need many more packages installed. My suggestion with 'sudo aptitude
build-dep puredata' installs only the packages required for building the
Pd part of Pd-extended. So for the rest, please follow Hans' advice.

Roman